Insurance agency mergers and acquisitions (M&A) have a lot of potential value, but getting internal stakeholders on the same page about what matters most when it comes to target companies is difficult. As a result, M&A choices become disconnected from company strategy, and negotiations either fall apart or fail.
Factors that contribute to transaction breakdown
- Not properly arranging the deal
- Lack of planning and preparation for every agency owner’s inevitable exit.
- Not understanding the significance of due diligence and why skipping or delaying this step will definitely cost you money.
- Not understanding the difference between a stock agreement and an asset sale, as well as the tax implications of both.
- You don’t know what you don’t know because you don’t know what you don’t know.
- Even before employing a consultant’s expert guidance, not understanding the basic foundations of how agreements are done and what solutions might be ideal.
We are a Texas based M&A Acquisition and Advisory practice focused on the Independent P&C Insurance Market. Whether you are looking to retire, seeking perpetuation planning or simply exploring options, let’s talk.
Our parent company, Davidson Stewart Morelock, has been an independent P&C agency since 2008, with our principals offering over 50 years combined experience in the insurance industry. We have successfully worked with a number of agencies creating mutually beneficial solutions for owners, partners and buyers.